Sign in to follow this  
8Bit

[UNOFFICIAL] How to Create, Host and Join your own local Server!

logo.png

Are you having issues setting up a server? Go ahead and order from our partner SurvivalServers.com they have everything up and running. Here's a quick peek at their control panel which has lots of customization options for your Atlas server!

You can even create your own Atlas grid up to 4x4 with 16 servers!

6e5c5pk.png

Niwk1H2.png

So you are the do-it-yourselfer type, eh? Follow along below!

Hey folks.. I am making using of this fan created community forum to post my way of how to create my own locally hosted (ON YOUR PC) server that everyone can join.

Do i need SteamCMD?

The best method to get game server dedicated hosting files is via SteamCMD.

1. Create a folder where you wish to store your Atlas game server hosting files
  2. Inside of the folder, place the newly downloading SteamCMD.exe file
  3. Create a batch file named SteamCMD.bat
  4. Place the following code in this batch file:
    1. @echo off
    2. start "" steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +force_install_dir "C:\Some\Path\Where\You\Want\Game\Server\Files\To\Go" +app_update 1006030 validate +quit
  5. Right-click SteamCMD.bat and Run as Administrator
  6. Your game server files should be completely downloaded by now

Creating the Server!

Where can i find my "ShootGameServer.exe" file?

This file is located in the folder where you put your files

C:\Some\Path\Where\You\Want\Game\Server\Files\To\Go

Setting up the .bat file!

So, we want to create a bat file to Start the ShooterGameServer.exe and put in some commands.
You should create this in the Folder mentioned above!

Right click in the folder and create a new Text Document. Name it what you want. I named it "StartServer".
Open it up and copy the following:

start "" /NORMAL "\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe" "Oceans?Multihome=123.123.123.123?Port=44015?QueryPort=44016?SessionName=YOURSERVERNAME?MaxPlayers=100?listen?ServerPassword=YOURSERVERPASSWORD?ServerAdminPassword=YOURADMINPASSWORD?RCONEnabled=True?RCONPort=44017" -NoBattleye -nosteamclient -game -server -log

Make sure that you change the capslock texts:

> 123.123.123.123: This is your remote IP (get from https://www.whatismyip.com)
> YOURSERVERNAME: This is the name of your Server in all lists etc.
> YOURSERVERPASSWORD: This is the Password that you need to join the server.
> YOURADMINPASSWORD: This is the Password a Player needs to type into the console to use cheat/admin commands.
> MaxPlayers: This is the amount of Players that are allowed to connect to the Server.

Once you finished setting this up, go to "File->Save As" in your Text Editor and save the file like this:

Launch.bat

Hosting the Server!

Check your Ports!

Make sure that you open the ports 44015, 44016, 44017, 44018 on both your router and your Windows Firewall!
This is important, but i can't really help here, since this depends on the router you are using.

Starting the Server!

Move back to the .bat File folder and double click the .bat file. This should create a small CMD window after a few seconds, which looks like this and will always stay like this:

With this, the Server is running. It will take a few MINUTES for it to be fully registered with the Atlas master server to show up in the Server Lists.

Joining the Server!

Others Joining the Server!

First of all, make sure that the Server is running by doing the following:

Open up your main Steam window and open the upper left tab called "View". There should be a point called "Server" which opens the good old server browser from Steam. Go to "LAN" and select Atlas as a Game in the lower left filter. Refresh the List until you see your Server, this can take some time.

And yes, you are seeing your own Server as a LAN Server. We will get to this in a sec.

As soon as you see the Server, you know it is up and running!

After you see your own Server in the Lan List, you can find your server using one of the following third party resources:

http://atlas-servers.com/ - web browser for Atlas servers

In the upper right search field, search for your Server, either by the Name you took for it or by using your IP (not the local one, use "whatismyip.com" to find out what your IP is).

At least THERE you should find it. Otherwise there is something fishy with the Ports i guess.

If you found it, click on it and send your friends the link to your Server. Tell them to close the Game and click on the IP. Clicking on the IP will let them Connect to the Server.

This is how my friend joined my Server and it worked. It could also work through the normal UNOFFICIAL Server List or the Steam Internet Server List, but this is how it worked for us.

Joining the Server yourself!

This is the tricky part, but I found a workaround to solve this:

Once the Server shows up in LAN, start your game. Move to the ServerList and search for "UNOFFICIAL" Servers and make sure you hit the "Password Protected Server" thingy. Let the Search finish and make sure that you CAN'T SEE  the server in this list. 

Admin Commands and additional Server Settings!

You can find a list of admin commands (that you can type in through the console) and Server Settings here.

You press the tilda ` in game and then type:

enablecheats changeme

(replace changeme with your password from ServerAdminPassword above)

Some helpful commands:

cheat ShowMyAdminManager

setcheatplayer true

I tested things like "cheat god" or "cheat fly" and they are working. 

To add additional launch params  to the bat file:

Behind the last "Password=YOURADMINPASSWORD" section, add something like this:

?ShowMapPlayerLocation=True

No space between this and the Password (the ? is important), but a space between the rest "-nosteamclient....".

Troubleshooting!

How to update my SteamCMD Server after Atlas was updated?

Go ahead and launch SteamCMD again. Login again like you did the time you installed the Server.
Make sure that you, again, select the Install Directory by typing:

force_install_dir YOUSERVERDIRECTORY

And example would be:

force_install_dir C:\AtlasServer

Now type in the following:

app_update 1006030 validate

Which will update the Server App.

I can't find my own Server in the List?

First of all, which list?

If you can't find it in the LAN list, make sure that you at least waited 5 minutes.
Could even take more time. The Server needs time to register with the Master Server from Atlas.
If it is still not visible, check the Settings and .bat file again. Maybe you misstyped something. 
Also make sure that your Ports are forwarded!

If you can't find it in the UNOFFICIAL list inside of the game, this is normal. You won't find it yourself.
You still need to search for it with the correct filter settings (Check Password Secured Servers if needed), although it
won't find the Server. This is a work around for Server Hosts, because they can't find their own Server without.

After you received the UNOFFICIAL Server list, switch the Filter from UNOFFICIAL to Favorites. After a few seconds
the Server should show up. If not, please check the whole tutorial and make sure that everything is running to this point.
If everything seems correct, but the Server is not showing up, i guess you still have problems with your Ports.
Check if others can find and join your server (the normal way. They don't need the workaround).

Additional Information!

This is how it works for me. I hope it will do the same for you. I can't really give your support here, since i'm not a developer of this game. Please be nice to each other and the Devs, and let us enjoy this awesome game!

• Like 1

So this mostly looks like an ARK setup guide. You even called 

start ShooterGameServer.exe TheIsland?

in your startup string. I followed the info, but I just get a crash when it tries to launch.

On 12/23/2018 at 11:21 AM, gazisaad said:

i could not find "ShootGameServer.exe" i think they didnt provide it yet for users

Same problem for me, "Windows cannot find 'ShooterGameServer.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again." Is what keep's popping up.

I got the same error of not finding "shootgameserver.exe"   so I put the batch file in the same dir as the .exe file, (D:\server\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64) (start "" /NORMAL "ShooterGameServer.exe") and it ran. 

However, now I get what looks like an engine error now, and I can not figure this out..

Screenshot (1).png